League - Spartan South Midlands League
Tue 26
North Greenford United FC
First Team
Unbeaten League Run Ends At North Greenford

Unbeaten League Run Ends At North Greenford

By Andrew Parker

The Town travelled to Berkeley Fields in North-West London on Tuesday Evening, to face North Greenford United.

Sweeney and Copson’s men came into the game in good league form, having not lost since the 5th of January.
They made 3 changes to the side that beat Colney Heath on Saturday, with Ollie Buckley, Aaron McKee and Michael Donkor all coming in for starts.
It wasn’t a fast start for either side with both teams playing a game that resembled more volleyball than football for the opening few minutes.
NGU tried their luck from distance once or twice in the opening exchanges, but there was nothing ‘clear cut’ for either side as the game approached the 30th minute.
However, Jordan Fredericks had one of Town’s best opportunities just after that mark. Brian Foulger’s smart cut back fell to the Town No.8 who rifled one low and hard towards Siddall’s goal, but the keeper was down to it well and palmed it away.
The Town started to assert their dominance on proceedings and went close again just before half time. KDG’s fantastic long range effort stung the palms of Siddall, who pushed it out for a corner.
That was all for the first half, with Town having one or two good opportunities.
The second half couldn’t of started much worse for Town, as they conceded on 50 minutes.
A long throw in was flicked on well and Petrit Krasniqi slammed the ball home past Tom Wyant from 12 yards, to put the hosts in front.
From 45-60 minutes it was NGU who dominated the show. They could’ve made it 2 when they broke in numbers at the Town rearguard but their final pass let them down.
However, Town began to get back in control again and nearly scored because of it!
KDG’s low driven cross looked to take a flick off of Buckley and it rattled the post.
A sighter of what was to come for Town as they were on top for the rest of the game.
Michael Donkor then came off for Tom Silford.
KDG then had a shot blocked and Yusef Seodi’s follow up was cleared off the line as Town tried to squeeze the ball through a sea of NGU bodies.
Brian Foulger then played a brilliant ball across the 6 yard box but there was no Town man to meet it at the far post.
With just under 10 to go, Kyle Faulkner had a chance to level things up. Ollie Buckley flicked the ball on well, however Faulkner’s lob was wayward and went out for a goal kick.
Kuda Butano then replaced Aaron McKee.
Then came Leighton’s best chance of the game. Matt Hall fired in an unbelievable cross on the volley that was met by captain Dave Murphy, but somehow Siddall in the NGU goal kept it out with his trailing arm. A magnificent save.
With Town dominating, NGU always looked dangerous on the counter attack. They could’ve made it 2 when Austin was given the ball in acres of space just inside the area. His touch let him down and his strike at Tom Wyant was tame to say the least. A guilt-edged opportunity for the hosts.
Ollie Buckley then had a free header on 89 minutes but he couldn’t direct it on target.
In stoppage time, Town continued to pile on the pressure. Buckley blazed over the bar from inside the area and Fredericks tried his luck from distance.
It wasn’t to be the Town’s evening and the referee soon blew up for full time.
Not the worst performance but not the greatest by any means as Town pick up 0 points on the road.
The unbeaten streak comes to an end as they fall to their first league defeat in 8 games.

Next up for Town is FA Vase Quarter Finalists and Promotion chasing, Biggleswade FC at Bell Close on Saturday. It’s got all the potential to be a great game, you don’t want to miss it!

Report by Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Tue 26, Feb 2019




Premier Division