League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 23
First Team
K Butawo (8')
Town Leave Cockfosters Empty Handed

Town Leave Cockfosters Empty Handed

By Andrew Parker
Share via

The Town travelled back inside the M25 once more for their penultimate away game of the season, as they journeyed to Chalk Lane, to take on relegation threatened Cockfosters.

Sweeney and Copson made 3 changes to their side, as Foulger, Bryant and Murphy came out and were replaced by Kuda Butawo, Guiney and McKee. Kuda making his first start in a Town shirt. With no Dave Murphy, Kyle Davison-Gordon donned the armband for the Town!
The first action of the game saw what should have been a red card. Pat Campbell went flying into Alfie Osborne, who was lucky to have escaped serious injury, despite having to be substituted just 6 minutes in. Campbell only received a yellow and Osborne was replaced by Brian Foulger.
Just after the change however, Town took the lead! Aaron McKee did well to take the ball past his man and slide a great ball across the box for Kuda Butawo to tap into the empty net. 3 goals in 2 appearances for Kuda!
However, Town’s lead only lasted a matter of minutes as Cockfosters levelled in sublime fashion. George Beattie’s strike from 25-30 yards beat Jones all ends up and got his side back on level terms.
Tom Silford went close for Town shortly after when he nodded over the bar from a Butawo corner.
The next real opportunity for either side didn’t come until just before half time, when Aaron McKee had a shot saved well by Cockfosters Goalkeeper, Seymour.
The second half proved to be fairly lifeless as well, with neither side playing the prettiest of football on a very bobbly pitch.
However, that didn’t stop Fosters taking the lead on 59 minutes. Leo Carvalho was fed in behind the Town backline and hit a fantastic strike across Jones and into the bottom corner, to put the hosts 2-1 ahead.
Kuda Butawo was then replaced by Ollie Buckley.
Town continued to dominate with the ball, but couldn’t create any real opportunities. Yusef Seodi blasted over the bar as the game went past the 70th minute mark.
Aaron McKee then made way for Kyle Faulkner.
Town then had a really good chance through Tom Silford, but his low drive was stopped brilliantly by Seymour at his near post.
However, the game entered stoppage time before Town’s next chance.
Kyle Faulkner blazed a volley just over the bar from the edge of the area.
Faulkner then had a 2nd great chance as the game entered the dying embers. He was in on goal but chose to strike early and dragged his shot wide of the post.
That meant that the Town bowed to defeat at Chalk Lane, in a disappointing performance all round.
A lack of desire costing the Town on a warm afternoon in North London.

Thank you to those who made the journey on Saturday, we hope to see you at Bell Close next Saturday as we welcome Harpenden Town.

Report by

Kieran Carvell

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 23, Mar 2019




Premier Division

League position

Leighton Town