League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 16
First Team
Tring Athletic
Tring Athletic Leave Bell Close With 3 Points

Tring Athletic Leave Bell Close With 3 Points

By Andrew Parker

The Town welcomed local rivals Tring Athletic to Bell Close on Saturday Afternoon on a very windy day in Leighton Buzzard.

Town made 5 changes to the team that beat Edgware 4-1, with Charlie Jones, Brian Foulger, Kyle Davison-Gordon, Yusef Seodi and Jordan Fredericks all coming back into the side.
It was a bright start from the Visitors on this occasion and they took the lead inside 10 minutes.
Ashton Campbell raced on to a through ball that Charlie Jones didn’t quite come for. Campbell rounded Jones, and finished with ease from a tight angle.
It looked only a matter of time until Tring were going to snatch another.
Campbell was denied by a superb tackle from Kyle Davison Gordon and the Tring talisman then fires over from close range on the 20th minute mark.
Town’s first real opportunity of the game came through Tom Silford. His effort was saved well by the goalkeeper from inside the area.
Lee Stobbs was next to try his luck for Athletic and he let fly from the right hand side of the area, but could only find the side netting.
Then, Town got themselves back on level terms!
A long throw in was flicked on and helped by the wind and Ross Adams met it inside the 6 yard box and bundled it home to get the Town back in the game!
However, shortly after that, Tring were back in front. Ashton Campbell met a looping cross first time on the edge of the 6 yard box and rifles it home to put his side a goal to the good.
That was just before half time and the Town would go in a goal down, somehow it was only 2-1, as Tring had plenty of opportunities.
It wasn’t the start to the second half Sweeney and Copson would’ve wanted from their team as Tring extended their lead on 50 minutes. George Ironton’s long range drive took a wicked deflection which deceived Jones and went into the back of the net.
However, that didn’t dampen Town’s spirits and they pushed on to try and get themselves back in the tie.
Matt Hall whipped in a great ball to the far post from a free kick but no one could get on the end of it.
Yusef Seodi then made way for Ollie Buckley.
On 69 minutes, the Town won a penalty! Ross Adams was brought down inside the area with a needless sliding tackle. The referee had no option but to point to the spot.
Jordan Fredericks stepped up and slotted it coolly into the back of the net! Game on at 3-2, with 20 minutes to go!
However, neither side were creating many opportunities as the game entered its final exchanges.
Yellow cards were being brandished for both sides and Alfie Osborne and Ross Adams found themselves in the book for Town.
Tring had a free kick that sailed just over the bar with around 5 minutes to play.
However, the league leaders were looking to hang on to a vital 3 points and were doing everything they could to slow the game down.
Matt Hall was then replaced by Kyle Faulkner.
However, shortly after that, the referee blew for Full Time.
A hard fought contest at Bell Close as the visitors extend their lead at the top of the table to 6 points.
The Town weren’t quite at the races on this occasion however, you can see why Tring are top of the league.
Considering where we were when we played them at the start of this campaign to now, we’ve come on leaps and bounds!

Next up for the Town is a trip to Cockfosters next Saturday.
We hope you can join us there.

218 fans through the door yesterday, thank you to all of our supporters, the travelling Tring fans and everyone who came out yesterday! Your support is always appreciated by everyone at the club!

Report by Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 16, Mar 2019






Premier Division

League position

Tring Athletic
Leighton Town