League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 02
First Team
Biggleswade FC
Late Goal Earns Town A Point

Late Goal Earns Town A Point

By Andrew Parker

The Town welcomed high flying Biggleswade FC to Bell Close on Saturday afternoon, in an eagerly anticipated Spartan South Midlands Premier Division clash!

The 2 sides last met in January at Langford Road in a 0-0 draw.
Sweeney and Copson made 3 changes to the team that lost in North-West London on Tuesday. Alfie Osborne, Tom Silford and Ross Adams came into the side.
If truth be told, what played out at Bell Close, was a brilliant spectacle!
FC went closest in the early exchanges, when Yusef Seodi and Tom Bryant cleared 2 headers off the goal line from a corner.
Following those chances, FC continued to dominate, however the Town looked dangerous and Brian Foulger was working his socks off, playing as a Number 9.
Just before the 20th minute mark, Yusef Seodi put a superb challenge in, but the referee gave a foul to the Visitors and some ‘handbags’ followed the decision.
Seodi soon after tried his luck from range, but it went well over the bar.
FC then found themselves through on goal. Lee Northfield raced in on goal, but took too long on the ball and Wyant snuffed him out, but only as far as Tom Cookman, but his drive was blocked well by the Town back line.
End to end stuff at Bell Close, as Town had a go at trying to get in front. Ross Adams’ strike was saved well by Child who got down to his right hand side.
Tom Wyant was called into action again, when he raced out to close down Leavers who was clean through. Wyant managed to get their first and cleared it out for a throw in.
Just seconds later and Wyant was called back into action! He made a terrific save to deny Cookman’s point blank header!
Town then had their turn to attack and Ross Adams hung a really good delivery up to the far post, but Tom Silford couldn’t angle his header on target.
Alfie Osborne then headed back across goal from a corner, but not one Town body could turn it goalwards!
At Half Time, somehow it was still 0-0!
A few minutes into the second half and FC thought they had the lead. Nick Henebrey rifled home from close range but the linesman had his flag up on the far side.
However, just 2 minutes later, they did take the lead.
Ryan Inskip was found in space at the far post and he finished well past Wyant to put the Visitors ahead.
Tom Wyant was back amongst the action just moments later, when Northfield fired fiercely at him, but he palmed it away with relative ease.
Brian Foulger was then replaced by a slightly more natural No.9 in Kyle Faulkner.
It was end to end still at Bell Close, however Town were looking the most dangerous going into the latter periods of the game, with Fredericks, Osborne and Seodi working tirelessly in the centre of the park.
Player of the Month Kyle Davison-Gordon was then replaced by none other than Tom Guiney! Great to see that man back in a red and white shirt!
Just 3 minutes later, his centre back partner and the skipper Dave Murphy, put the Town back on level terms!
Matt Hall’s inviting delivery found the head of Murphs who headed back across goal and it ended up in the far corner! 1-1!
With now just over 10 minutes to go, it didn’t look like this one would end 1-1.
And, you guessed it, it didn’t. On 85 minutes, Substitute Abraham Eze got past Tom Bryant and squared to Lee Northfield, who tucked it home, sparking exuberant scenes by the FC dugout. 2-1 to the Visitors.
However, just 2 minutes later, Town Levelled!
Whether Matt Hall meant it or not is another story but his curling cross/shot looped it’s way into the top bracket, to silence the cheers of the FC fans, staff and players! 2-2!
With just 2 minutes of normal time to play, either side could still of gone on to win it, with the way the game had gone!
And Town nearly did!
Ross Adams breezed past Beñat Pena with his pace but he couldn’t get a shot away.
Jordan Fredericks then picked up a ricochet and fired towards goal from just inside the area, but his effort was saved well by Child.
Adams continued to run himself into the ground, his hard work closing down the FC defenders!
Yusef Seodi and Jordan Fredericks made their way into the referees book late on for Town.
The workhorse Ross Adams was replaced by Ollie Buckley.
It ended 2-2 at Bell Close, in a thoroughly entertaining tie between the Town and the favourites for promotion and FA Vase Quarter Finalists, Biggleswade FC.
One of the greatest games of football I’ve seen for a long time, in front of a crowd of 172 at Bell Close! Thank you for your support once again!
Town showed real character on multiple occasions to come from behind twice, to deny the Visitors 3 points.
The boys should be proud with their efforts on Saturday afternoon!

A fantastic encounter at Bell Close, so why not join us on the road next Saturday! We travel to Hendon Football Club, to take on Edgware Town!

Report by Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 02, Mar 2019






Premier Division