League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 12
Potton United
First Team
L McBride (31')
Third Time Lucky For Town

Third Time Lucky For Town

By Andrew Parker

The Town travelled to The Hutchinson Hollow on Saturday, to take on Potton United got a third time in a little under 4 weeks.

The last 2 meetings have both come at Bell Close, with the visitors running out 2-1 winners on both occasions.
Sweeney and Copson made 4 changes to the side that lost to the hosts last Saturday. Aaron McKee, Matt Brady and Ben Gallant making way for Brian Foulger, Tom Silford and Kyle Faulkner.
The 4th change to the side was a change in goalkeeper, with Charlie Jones coming out and being replaced by Tom Wyant, who has returned back to the club after a spell at Kempston.
It was Potton who looked liveliest in the opening exchanges as they carved out 2 good opportunities. The first when Gary Ansell-Carter was found in the box but couldn’t connect properly with his shot. The second from a beautifully weighted cross field ball from Jonny Hall, found Danny Webb who rounded Tom Wyant, but he scuffed his shot and Matt Hall cleared comfortably from the 6 yard box.
After surviving some early pressure, the Town looked to get on the front foot and they almost took the lead through Tom Silford’s effort, but it was saved well by Tyler Josephs.
Aaron Murrell then had a fantastic opportunity to put the hosts in front, but he couldn’t guide his header downwards and it went way over the bar.
Then just over a third into the game, the Town were in front, and you’ll never guess who scored...
Lewis McBride with another great strike, this time a brilliant half volley from the edge of the area into the bottom left corner! 1-0! His 9th goal of the season.
Shortly after it was Half Time and the Town went in with a goal to the good.
The second half started in different fashion the the fast, with Leighton dominating proceedings. Kyle Faulkner going close on two occasions and Lewis McBride firing wide.
The Town continued to dominate is the clock ticked on, with Brian Foulger and Yusef Seodi winning the midfield battle and Tom Silford doing lots of brilliant defensive work on the left hand side.
Leighton made their first change with a little under 10 minutes to go, when Oliver Buckley came on for his debut, replacing Kyle Faulkner.
With only 3 minutes left on the clock, Potton should have levelled. Aaron Murrell with another chance with his head from only 6 yards, but he once again, couldn’t find the target or even test Tom Wyant.
Jay Caines was then replaced by Chris Cutler.
Deep into injury time, Michael Donkor came on for Brian Foulger.
That was it at The Hutchinson Hollow, as the Town record their first win since the 8th of December and put an end to a miserable run of results over the festive period and a miserable run of results to Potton!
A good performance from Sweeney and Copson’s side, with the Town dominating proceedings in the second half and coming away with a deserved and well earned 3 points!
Next up for the Town is a trip to league leaders, Biggleswade FC, who are also in Round 16 of the Vase, after beating Stowmarket Town 1-0 last Sunday.
This is on Tuesday Evening, a 7:45 Kick Off.
We hope to see you there, thank you for your support once again!
Report by Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Jan 2019




Premier Division

League position

Potton United
Leighton Town