League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 05
First Team
Potton United
Potton Take Points In First Game Of New Year

Potton Take Points In First Game Of New Year

By Andrew Parker

The Town welcomed Potton United to Bell Close for the second time in 3 weeks, after a League Challenge Trophy Quarter Final fixture back in December.

That time out, Potton ran out 2-1 winners, on a wet and windy night in Leighton.
The Town made 4 changes to the side that lost away to Baldock. Aaron McKee, Lewis McBride, Ben Gallant and Kyle Davison-Gordon coming in for Brian Foulger, Michael Donkor, Kyle Faulkner and Tom Silford.
It was a fast start for the Town and they could’ve been in front inside 2 minutes.
Aaron McKee was found with a square ball across the box but he couldn’t connect properly with his shot and it went well wide of the goal.
Potton then began to turn on the pressure and Charlie Jones was tested twice in quick succession.
First, a powerful header from Aaron Murrell and the second a rasping drive from Danny Webb.
Despite Potton creating the early opportunities, it was the Town who took the lead.
Lewis McBride with a sublime first touch took it past his man out on the right, before firing across the goalkeeper with his left foot into the top left corner. Another superb Lewis McBride goal, to give the Town a 1-0 lead.
Immediately from the restart, Potton should’ve levelled. Murrell was found with a teasing low cross from Webb, but he couldn’t find the net from 2 yards out and blazed his effort over the bar.
Shortly after, Leighton were forced into a change. Aaron McKee came off with a knock and was replaced by Kyle Faulkner.
The pressure from Potton was beginning to prove relentless, with Webb and Murrell testing Jones again and causing the Town backline numerous problems.
At Half Time however, the Town lead, lucky to not be drawing with all of Potton’s chances.
However, just 20 seconds into the second half and Potton equalised. Danny Webb wrong footed Charlie Jones and slotted home with ease, to bring Potton back into the game whilst spectators were still coming out of the clubhouse.
However, just a few minutes later and the Town were awarded a penalty! Jay Caines’ great work out on the right hand side saw him being brought down inside the area and the referee had no choice but to point to the spot.
Lewis McBride stepped up, looking to double his tally...
But his penalty was a poor one, with neither power or placement and it was a comfortable save for Tyler Josephs.
Kyle Davison-Gordon was then replaced by Alfie Osborne.
As time ticked on, the game became a physical midfield battle. But on 77 minutes, Potton took the lead.
Jim Burnside had his original effort blocked, but he buried the rebound at Charlie Jones’ near post, to put his side in the driving seat.
George Armstrong then came on for Ben Gallant in the Town’s third and final change.
With not long to go, Charlie Jones was nearly caught out after an error on the edge of the area but he made a brilliant save to deny Ansell-Carter with an acrobatic stop.
That would be it for the Town, with changes few and far between in the remaining minutes.
An identical score line to when the teams last met just a matter of weeks ago.
More disappointment for the Town, making it 4 straight defeats in league and cup.

Next up is funnily enough, Potton United away next Saturday. A 15:00 Kick Off.
We hope to see you there, thank you for your support once again.

Report by Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Jan 2019




Premier Division

League position

Potton United
Leighton Town