League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 17
Biggleswade United
First Team
Biggleswade United Take 3 Points

Biggleswade United Take 3 Points

By Andrew Parker

The Town travelled across Bedfordshire to Second Meadow on Saturday, to play one of the 3 Biggleswade Outfits, in the Football Pyramid, Biggleswade United.

The Town made one change to the side that drew with Edgware a week ago, with Lewis McBride returning after illness. He replaced Michael Donkor.
For the first time in a few games, the game was lively from the off.
Just 4 minutes in, the Town should’ve been in front. Some good play in the centre of the park, allowed Tom Silford to be in on goal, but his shot was kept out by United Goalkeeper, Ollie Leslie.
Leighton would then live to roux that missed opportunity, as 2 minutes later, United took the lead.
A Yusef Seodi mistake gave the ball to Joe Hawkins, who squared across the box to Captain, Dave Parkinson. He checked back on to his left foot, taking Charlie Jones and Kyle Davison-Gordon out of the equation, and placed the ball into the empty net. 1-0.
Things went from bad to worse for the Town 4 minutes later, as United doubled their advantage.
Some very poor defending in the penalty area, allowed the ball to break to Tashriq Andrews on the edge of the area, under no pressure at all. He fired across Jones, who got fingertips to it, but the ball nestled in the top corner.
Having conceded twice in the early exchanges, the Town then seemed to wake up.
Aaron McKee had a drive saved well by Leslie.
A few minutes later, Leslie spilled a cross, that fell to Kyle Faulkner. His ambitious Bicycle Kick was cleared off of the line by James Smith.
Aaron McKee then went close again, when his looping header crashed against the crossbar.
Just 5 minutes before half time, Kyle Faulkner was replaced by Kelvin Osei-Addo.
Lewis McBride then tried his luck, but he was denied by Leslie, Osei-Addo went close after McKee’s follow up cross.
Just before half time, the Town should have pulled one back.
Dom Marsala’s ball across the box, fell to an unmarked Tom Silford. However, he couldn’t get any conviction on his shot and it was an easy save for Leslie.
Missed chances being the story of this game.
5 minutes into the second period, United nearly made it 3. Joe Hawkins curling effort from distance clipped the top of Jones’ crossbar.
Shortly after, Tony Williams blazed over the bar from close range, it really should’ve been 3.
Charlie Briggs then went closest with a header from a set piece, but it flashed past the post.
With 10 minutes to go, Dave Murphy replaced Matt Hall. Murphy returning after a lengthy absence because of an injury.
As the game entered its final minutes, United extended their lead even further.
Tony Williams made up for his earlier miss and rolled the ball into an empty net, after good play down the right flank from United.
Leighton’s final change came just 2 minutes from time, with Brian Foulger replacing Aaron McKee.
Biggleswade United take all 3 points, on a day where Leighton’s missed chances, cost them the game.
A cliche, but on another day, it could’ve been a different scoreline.

Next up for the Town is a trip to Pancake Lane next Saturday, to face Leverstock Green in the League, a 15:00 Kick Off.

Thank you for your support once again, we hope to see you again next Saturday.

Report by

Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 17, Nov 2018






Premier Division

League position

Biggleswade United
Leighton Town