League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 10
First Team
Edgware Town
Points Shared At Bell Close

Points Shared At Bell Close

By Andrew Parker
Share via

The Town entertained Edgware Town on Saturday afternoon at Bell Close, as they looked to build on what was a poor performance, on Tuesday Evening, despite winning.

Leighton and Edgware shared identical records going into the game, 3 Wins, 6 Draws and 5 Defeats, with Leighton only ahead of the North London outfit, on goal difference.
Sweeney and Copson made 3 Changes to the side that beat Unite MK.
Aaron McKee and Matt Hall came back into the fold, as well as Tom Silford, who has rejoined the club after leaving at the end of the last campaign.
The game started in Edgware’s favour, with. Onololu Onabolu and Tyriq Hunte both had opportunities in a goal mouth scramble.
From the on, the first half was not overly entertaining.
Yusef Seodi continued to impress, after his fine display on Tuesday.
Dom Marsala, Kyle Faulkner and Tom Silford couldn’t test Conner Beattie in the Edgware goal, as he was left untroubled throughout the first period.
The only other chance of the half fell the way of Onabolu. His free kick was blocked by Marsala but he hit the rebound fiercely and was only denied by a fantastic Charlie Jones stop, in a rather muddy six yard box.
The second half however, began in Leighton’s favour.
Aaron McKee had a very early chance but it was blocked by a combination of Edgware defenders.
5 minutes in to the second half and Leighton should have been in front.
McKee and Seodi played an exceptional one two around the Edgware defence and McKee hit his strike low, but was denied excellently by the right boot of Beattie, to keep the score at 0-0. Fantastic work by McKee and Sedul, who are forming quite the partnership.
Kyle Davison-Gordon then went close with a header from a corner, but it was comfortable for Beattie.
Edgware struggles to create many opportunities in the second period, but could have gone in front after 2 chances in quick succession from Onabolu and Burgess.
As the game entered its final quarter, Kyle Faulkner almost put the Town in front.
He rose highest in a crowded penalty area and directed his header right into the corner, but found Beattie’s outstretched palm there to greet the ball. Another superb stop.
Moments later and Edgware had a guilt edged opportunity.
Substitute Mikkel James was no more than 3 yards out, when he put a bullet header over the crossbar. A guilt edged opportunity and Edgware’s last chance of the game.
Kelvin Osei-Addo then replaced Matt Hall.
Leighton’s final chance came 10 minutes from time.
Tom Bryant broke forward on the right flank and hit a great effort towards the right corner. However, Leighton’s nemesis for the afternoon Conner Beattie denied Bryant and the ball went behind for a corner kick.
In a final roll of the dice, Sam Tamakloe replaced Michael Donkor.
But that would be that for the afternoon, and Leighton and Edgware’s records remain identical, after a 0-0 draw.
The Town will feel unlucky after numerous good saves by Beattie, on another day, it’s a different score line.

The Reds return to action next Saturday, as they travel to Biggleswade to take on Biggleswade United, a 15:00 Kick Off.

We hope to see you there, thank you for your support once again.

Up the Town!

Report by

Kieran Carvell

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 10, Nov 2018






Premier Division

League position

Leighton Town
Edgware Town