League - Spartan South Midlands League
Tue 06
Arlesey Town
First Team
Points Shared At Arlesey.

Points Shared At Arlesey.

By Andrew Parker

Town travelled away from home for the first time this season, as they travelled to face Arlesey Town at Hitchin Road.


Arlesey Town 1 - 1 Leighton Town

Town we're looking to bounce back after Saturday's opening day defeat to Aylesbury Vale Dynamos.
The lineup saw 3 changes to the side that lost that day, Caines, Gilbert and Davison-Gordon were replaced by Hall, Foulger and Donkor.
The full lineup: McKenzie-Lyle, Bryant, Hall, Murphy (C), Donkor, Osborne, Webb, Fredericks, Murrell, Foulger, Silford.
It was a fast start for the hosts however, with 2 early chances.
McKenzie-Lyle made a comfortable save with the first chance, but the second should have resulted in a goal for the hosts. Gaffney broke in behind Murphy after a smart move, but his shot was saved extremely well by McKenzie-Lyle. The follow up was smashed over the bar.
That was an early sighter for the hosts, but the game became much more even after a frantic first five minutes.
Aaron Murrell fizzed a strike toward goal from the edge of the box on the 10 minute mark, but it whistled just over the bar.
Then came a glorious chance for Town. Webb used his electric pace down the right flank to beat his man, before delivering a decent ball in. That ball in couldn't be cleared by the Arlesey backline and it fell to Silford who had time to strike at goal from just 12 yards out. His drive was saved by Ponting and then cleared. A good save, an even better chance.
That was just 20 minutes into the tie and a searching cross from Arlesey that clipped the top of the bar was the last chance of the half, with the score at half time, 0-0.
As the second half got underway, Town looked bright from the off, moving the ball around nicely.
Just 4 minutes into the second period, Town took the lead!
Despite the good passing football, it couldn't get more route one!
McKenzie-Lyle with a long ball forward was brought down by Silford, who shuffled past his man and fired home from distance into the bottom right corner. A great strike, from a man who was having the game of his life!
Town continued to run the show at Hitchin Road, pressing and pressing the Arlesey defence.
Murrell had another opportunity, dragging a shot wide.
Then another great chance for Town. A long range drive was saved well by Ponting who tipped it round the post!
Tom Silford then entered the referee's book for a late challenge, picking up the first yellow card of the game. A fair few less on Tuesday, than there were on Saturday...
Just minutes later, Arlesey levelled things up in spectacular fashion. Substitute, Charlie Black, lined a shot up from all of 30 yards and it flew over McKenzie-Lyle, dipping and swerving on its way, before just creeping in under the crossbar.
Game on at Hitchin Road with only 15 minutes to go, Town continued to press.
After a lengthy stoppage and injury to Michael Donkor, Leslie Barker came on to the field.
Town pushed on looking for a winner and they nearly found it in the last minute of the 90. After a scramble inside the area, Aaron Murrell managed to get a left-footed strike away that slammed against the crossbar, before coming back out and getting headed over the bar by the same man! A massive, massive chance for Town, for just minutes to go.
One last roll of the dice saw, Ollie Buckley enter the field, in place of Murrell.
But that was that at Hitchin Road, with the Town recording their first point of the season.
An entertaining affair up in Arlesey, with Town showing their worth for large parts of the game.
Coming up next is Saturdays Home, FA Cup tie against Thornbury Town.
A massive game for both clubs, so please do come down and support your local side!
This is your town, your team!

Match Report by

Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Tue 06, Aug 2019