League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 03
First Team
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos
Dynamos Take 3 Points At Bell Close

Dynamos Take 3 Points At Bell Close

By Andrew Parker
Share via

After 3 and a bit long months and 7 Pre-Season Friendlies, The Town finally returned to competitive action, hosting Aylesbury Vale Dynamos (AVD), at Bell Close.

This would be the first game in 'Aylesbury Vale Dynamos' history, after another merger/amalgamation, this time with Bedgrove Dynamos.
The Local Derby would kick off this seasons Spartan South Midlands Premier Division for both clubs and nerves, anticipation and excitement filled Bell Close, before the referees opening whistle.
Town lined up as follows, and lined up in a beautiful new Red and White Stripe Kit: McKenzie-Lyle, Bryant, Murphy, Davison-Gordon, Silford, Osborne, Fredericks, Gilbert, Webb, Murrell, Caines.
Town started the contest brightly, pinning the visitors back into their own half for large chunks of the opening 10 minutes.
It was AVD who got the first chance of the game however, as Alfie Gaspar tested McKenzie-Lyle from the edge of the box, but it was comfortable for the Town shot stopper.
Next it was Ex-Town Fan Favourite, Bruno Brito, to try his luck and his drive on the volley from just inside the area, smacked the advertising on top of the Shed End.
Two long range drives from Gilbert and Webb, showed signs of intent from Town, with Gilbert's forcing a save. However, it was the visitors who took the lead on 30 minutes.
Bruno Brito was picked out inside the area and his shot was filled with power and despite McKenzie-Lyle getting a palm to it, it fell into the bottom left corner. 1-0 to AVD.
However, within a matter of minutes, Town had opened their account for the season and were back on level terms!
Jordan Fredericks looping ball that was hung up to the far post was nodded home by (you guessed it), captain Dave Murphy, who wheeled away for his 1st of the season.
Roy Byron and Lewis Stratford entered the book for Aylesbury before and after the goal.
Town then had a fantastic chance to put them a goal to the good! Osborne picked out Webb with a fantastic long ball. The ball couldn't quite sit right for Webb, however he still managed to fashion a chance, but it was cleared well by Stratford, who injured himself in the process.
He was replaced by Jacob Troughton-Smith, after a lengthy stoppage in play.
Just before half-time, the score line changed once more, with the Dynamos taking the lead again.
A free header from a Brito corner was thundered home by Dan Wilson, to give his side a goal advantage at the break.
At Half-Time, both sides made changes, with Charlie Gilbert being replaced by Brian Foulger for Town and Carl Tappin was introduced for Aylesbury.
As the Second-Half got underway, Tappin and Troughton-Smith both entered the book in quick succession for cynical challenges on Webb, who had the beating of them all day long.
Kyle Davison-Gordon was then the first Town man to enter the book, I believe for throwing the ball away.
With play becoming frantic and cagey and with the referee brandishing a lot of cards, neither team could get a foothold in the game.
Brito got in behind Bryant on the far left wide, but his effort went wide of the post.
After that chance, Town then started to get a hold of the game and began applying lots of pressure on the AVD backline.
And they should've scored, when Bryant was gifted a free header in the area, but couldn't put his effort on target!
Danny Webb fired one across goal shortly after, but Murrell couldn't get there to head it home.
Alfi Touceda then entered the book for the visitors, for a foul on Guess Who? Danny Webb.
Tom Silford and 'Keith' of Aylesbury, also joined the ever-growing list of members in the referees pocket book. Seemed like quite the party, by the end of the 90.
Matt Hall then came on for Jay Caines and Abu Khan joined the game, in replacement of Keith.
Just after the changes, Davison-Gordon was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge after AVD broke away and he was dismissed, with 15 minutes of normal time to play.
With Town now down to 10, tempers from both sides continued to flair, with Alfie Gaspar entering the book for a push on Tom Bryant.
With time ticking on, Town were failing to create any real opportunities.
One last roll of the dice saw Aaron Murrell make way for Ollie Buckley.
Time continued to go by with no chances falling Town's way. However, after Tom Silford was adjudged to have been offside, he was aggrieved by the decision and therefore we saw our first sin-bin of the year. Town down to 9, with just 5 minutes to play.
Deep into what should've been 6-7 minutes of stoppage, Town had a big shout for a penalty kick. A header towards goal clearly struck the arm of the Aylesbury defender, however Town saw their claims waved away by the man in the middle. Foulger flicked on the loose ball from the claim, but it trundled out and went wide.
There would still be time for 2 more cards however, with Ollie Buckley picking one up for a late challenge on the goalkeeper.
The Full-Time whistle blew and the 9 men of Town slipped to a 2-1 defeat in the first game of the new campaign, at the hands of local rivals Aylesbury Vale Dynamos.
The final card of the game, went the way of our manager, Joe Sweeney. He picked up a red card at the end of the game, which will see him with a touch line ban.
Thank you for joining us at Bell Close, we hope to see you back next Saturday as we welcome Thornbury Town in the FA Cup.
However, our next fixture is on Tuesday night, as we make the trip over to Arlesey, in what promises to be a big game for both sides!

Report by Kieran Carvell

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 03, Aug 2019