League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 20
First Team
AFC Dunstable
First Home Friendly Against AFC Dunstable

First Home Friendly Against AFC Dunstable

By Andrew Parker

The Town welcomed Step 4's AFC Dunstable, to Bell Close, as they made the short trip down the A505.

Leighton Town 0-1 AFC Dunstable

Town came into the game having already played 2 Pre-Season friendlies, however, both were against lower division opposition, with a 1-1 draw at Amersham and a 4-1 win at Aaron Clinton.
Town lined up as follows: Kirkwood, Bryant, Hall, Murphy, Davison-Gordon, Osborne, Webb, Fredericks, Murrell, Towell, McClleland.
Town started the game brightly, looking very sharp and quick on the break and dominating the opening half an hour.
Webb showed his pace down the right flank, getting in behind in numerous occasions to deliver teasing crosses, that no one got on the end of.
McClleland did the same out on the left and some free flowing counter attaching football, found him in a great deal of space to deliver, but his cross was slightly over hit.
Despite dominating the game so far, just after the half an hour mark, AFC took the lead. KDG's lapse in judgment allowed AFC to break. Their 10 fired a strike at goal that was well saved by Kirkwood, but 10 slid the rebound across goal, and Jermaine Hall slotted home from close range, into the roof of the net.
AFC then turned on the style for the remaining 15 minutes before the interval. They had 2 massive opportunities in quick succession, in which they should have at least double their advantage.
First of, their No.8 had a free header after a cross from just 6 yards out, that went wide.
Then the biggest one. AFC's 7 went clean through on goal after a great touch. His initial shot was saved brilliantly by Kirkwood and the rebound... well, with an opening goal looming for the 7, he planted the ball safely in the splash park in the Rec! Terrible miss!
Half-Time came and Matt Hall was replaced by Michael Donkor.
10 minutes into the second period ad Town reaped the changes again, with Adams and Foulger replacing Towell and Osborne.
Chances were few and far between for Town, as AFC continued to defend resolutely.
Webb had a shot blocked that looked goal-bound, after a succession of corners.
Aaron Murrell then made way for Kyle Faulkner, and shortly after, Tom Bryant made way for 17-year-old Luke Pyman!
Ross Adams was then gifted Town's best chance of the game! He was played clean through on goal after a poor pass from the AFC keeper, but he couldn't capitalise and it fell straight into his arms!
Captain Murphy was then replaced by Barker, in Town's final change of the afternoon.
Town had one more chance before the final whistle, as Danny Webb's bullet of a header was cleared off the line by Ex-Town man, Drew Roberts.
The whistle for the end of the 90 blew, as Town slipped to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of AFC Dunstable.
More minutes in the tank for both sides, in an entertaining spectacle at Bell Close.

Next up for Town is Pitstone & Ivinghoe away on Tuesday Evening. We look forward to seeing you there!

Report by Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 20, Jul 2019