League - Spartan South Midlands League
Sat 01
Lye Town
First Team
10 Man Leighton Knocked Out Of The FA Vase

10 Man Leighton Knocked Out Of The FA Vase

By Andrew Parker

The Town travelled to Lye on Saturday, in an eagerly anticipated FA Vase 3rd Round Proper Tie, after the Reds were reinstated.

Leighton came into the game off the back of 2 straight wins and 2 straight clean sheets.
Joe Sweeney and Paul Copson made just 1 change to the team that beat Tring Athletic, with Brian Foulger coming in for the injured Ben Gallant.
Paolo Baggati and Michael Donkor both returned to the Squad.
The Game started and it was Lye creating the early opportunities.
Jack Till tested Charlie Jones after he broke clear down the right hand side, but Jones was equal to his effort and saved excellently at the wide-man’s feet.
Till then had another great chance but he fluffed his lines and fired wide from close range.
Leighton then tested Ben Newey in the Lye Goal for the first time. Kyle Davison-Gordon struck an effort low to the goalkeepers left, but he turned it behind for a corner.
Neither team dominated the first period, but Lye definitely had the better of the chances.
At Half Time, the Town were forced into a change. Lewis McBride was replaced by Matt Hall.
The Town came out much livelier in the second half, with Dom Marsala testing Newey from the edge of the area as the game entered its final third.
However, Marsala would not see the game out after he picked up a terrible injury to his knee, that will see him out for a long period of time. We wish him well and a speedy recovery.
The tie was stopped for around 15 minutes, as members of staff from both clubs treated him and stretchered him off, ready for the arrival of an ambulance.
George Armstrong came on in his place.
Neither team managed to take the game by the scruff of the neck at the restart and it stayed 0-0, until the whistle for the end of normal time.
The game then entered Extra Time, however, if there was not a winner at the end of Extra Time, the game would end and a replay would take place at Bell Close on Tuesday.
The first 90 minutes was relatively uneventful, however, the 30 minutes of Extra Time, saw a lot of action unfold.
Just over 5 minutes into the first period of Extra Time, the Town were reduced to 10 men.
Matt Brady picked up a second yellow card for an incident involving one of the Lye attackers.
Brady’s red left the Town exposed at the back and Lye exploited their one man advantage.
They took the lead only a couple of minutes later, when Josh McKenzie turned the ball in on the goal line after a scramble.
Despite the man disadvantage, the Town could of and should of equalised.
Kyle Davison-Gordon broke down the left flank. He was sieved down, but managed to play the ball to George Armstrong, who then played one more pass across to Aaron McKee. McKee dragged his effort wide and the Town squandered a fantastic chance.
Before the Extra Time Half Time whistle, they had made it 2. Defender Adam Mercham, rose highest from a corner and slammed the ball home for the Flyers. 2-0.
Paolo Baggati replaced Tom Bryant with 15 left to play.
The second half of Extra Time saw 2 more goals, both in Lye’s favour.
Ben Billingham rounded Charlie Jones and tucked the ball into the empty net to make it 3.
Michael Donkor then came on for captain Dave Murphy.
Substitute Luke Carter then made it 4, when he finished with ease inside the Town’s box.
That see’s the Town knocked out of the competition for a second time this season.
Disappointing to say the least.

The Town host Arlesey at home on Saturday, in the League.
Thank you to so many of you who made the journey to Lye to support the Town, it is massively appreciated by everyone at the club.

We hope to see you on Saturday.

Match report by

Kieran Carvell

Match details

Match date

Sat 01, Dec 2018