Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Leighton Town F C app


First Team - Match centre

London Colney
Leighton Town
Unknown (79')
Full time
Unknown (17', 75')
Tue 2 Oct 19:45 - Spartan South Midlands Football League - Premier Division Attendance 51

Town Take 3 Points At London Colney


The Town travelled to London Colney on Tuesday Evening, as they looked to take all 3 points for only the second time this season.

Danny Nicholls made only one change to the side that played Cockfosters at Bell Close last Saturday.
Matt Hall returned from suspension and he replaced Brian Foulger.
The game got underway in rather subdued fashion. Neither team really troubling either goalkeeper or creating anything major.
However, the first piece of real quality, saw Dom Marsala make a really good run in behind the defence. His pace got him in between two defenders, who then bundled him over inside the penalty area. The referee pointed to the spot and gave Leighton an opportunity to go one up inside twenty minutes.
Aaron McKee, ‘who never misses’, stepped up and dispatched a wonderful penalty into the top right corner!
That goal gave the Town a real lift and they took the game by the scruff of the neck.
Lewis McBride used his energy and pace as did Dom Marsala, to earn some set pieces for Leighton, but they resulted in nothing.
The football was more positive from the Town as they looked to find Faulkner and Dentice at every possible opportunity.
However, after a really good twenty minute spell for the Town, London Colney had their first real opportunity of the game. Jacob Noonan found himself in space on the edge of the area after a quick breakaway from Colney. He rounded Tom Wyant with a drop of the shoulder, but his shot was dragged wide.
Shortly after that, Leighton had a huge chance to extend their lead. McBride played through Dom Marsala who was bearing down on goal, before deciding to square it unselfishly. However, the pass was semi-dealt with by the London Colney backline and the ball fell into the path of Dentice, who’s shot was blocked, before Faulkner had a third bite of the cherry and his shot was blocked too.
It stayed 1-0 to the Town and the Half Time whistle blew not long after.
The second half started at the same tempo as the first. Neither team being able to dictate the play once again.
However, the Town managed to get a foothold on proceedings just after the 60th minute.
Kyle Faulkner did fantastically in a wide position and he delivered a great ball to the far post, which Dom Marsala attacked well, but his header was cleared off of the line by Bobby Armstrong.
From the resulting corner, Jamie ‘Jammers’ Nicholls had a chance at the near post, his flick was kept out well by Jack Metcalfe, who I’m sure has fond memories against the Town after his wonder save from an Alex O’Brien shot earlier this season. I’m still wondering how he saved that.
Faulkner and Dentice were then replaced by George Armstrong and it was a first appearance for Sonny Devine, who came on at left midfield.
Only five minutes into his first team bow, Devine had a chance from a Marsala cross, but his shot was just over the crossbar.
With time ticking away, the Town needed a goal to wrap things up and they did just that!
Substitute George Armstrong was released down the right channel with acres of space ahead of him. He raced down on Metcalfe’s goal and cut inside of an on running defender and slotted past the goalkeeper and in, for 2-0! Armstrong’s first goal of the season for the Town.
Leighton looked set for their first 3 points in over a month and their first clean sheet since August too.
However, three minutes later, Colney had a way back into the game.
A foul by Kyle Davison-Gordon in the box, gave Loren Maxwell a chance to reduce his sides deficit to one goal. He converted from twelve yards, high into Wyant’s goal. 2-1.
That would make it 15 nervous minutes for the Town, who have conceded some late goals in recent weeks.
Dom Marsala was replaced by Brian Foulger, as Leighton looked to hold on.
London Colney had two late set pieces, but were both dealt with by Danny Nicholls’ men.
The referee blew for Full-Time and the Town finally got the three points that they needed and have been searching for! A massive relief for Nicholls, his staff and all of the players, after an impressive performance.
Hopefully, this is now something to build on and now the Town can really kick on and make a bid for some success in this campaign!
Danny and his side return to action on Saturday, as they make the trip to North London, to take on Wembley FC.

Thank you for your support this evening and we hope to see you again on Saturday!
Up the Town!

Report by

Kieran Carvell

Key moments

Goal Goal for Leighton Town
Goal Goal for Leighton Town
Goal Goal for London Colney


View 0 new events
79:00 Goal 1 - 2
Goal for London Colney
75:00 Goal 0 - 2
Goal for Leighton Town
End of period 1
17:00 Goal 0 - 1
Goal for Leighton Town
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • London Colney
  • Leighton Town
  • 0
  • Goal 17:00'
  • Goal 75:00'
  • Goal 79:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Oxhey Jets
Edgware Town
Biggleswade FC
Colney Heath
Tring Athletic
Leverstock Green


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
9. Oxhey Jets 38 55
10. Crawley Green 38 52
11. Leighton Town 38 50
12. Wembley 38 47
13. Edgware Town 38 46
14. Harpenden Town 37 44
15. London Colney 37 34

Team sponsors


Club sponsors