Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Leighton Town F C app


First Team - Match centre

Leighton Town F C
Edgware Town
Sat 18 Mar 15:00 - League Full time

Single Goal At Bell Close Gives Leighton Victory


Leighton Town 1 - Edgware Town 0

After success in midweek with a friendly win against Winslow United, Leighton continued that run of form with a vital victory against Edgware in an emphatic six-pointer at Bell Close.

It was a tentative start from both sides as James Towell hit a long ball early on that was dipping and Iain Davies had to be alert to it. The Leighton defence was slightly complacent early on as George McCluskey was given the time to hit a long strike from the edge of the box.

The visitors then had a free kick that was blocked and then blasted over the bar by Dennis Mattartan, after plenty of Leighton bodies were back to defend.

Following that early scare The Reds then started to play some good football as Luke Marsh just scuffed a half volley following some wing play. Leighton were looking good on the break and after some pressure from Lewi McBride a Town corner was swung in, the first ball was cleared before Aaron McKee’s header was saved.

Leighton won a throw in and play was then delayed by referee Corey Snuggs for one of the more bizarre reasons as a stray pheasant had to be strayed off the pitch.

The Reds continued to press and McBride had an effort blocked. McBride was at the centre of a lot of the Leighton pressure; Lorrel Smith ran in played in Marsh who passed it back to McBride who curled his effort as it was blocked out.

Leighton were unlucky not to go 1-0 up as Marsh made an incisive cross to Smith who with a free header hit it just over.

The hosts made no such mistake with their next opportunity and went 1-0 up through skipper Martin Griggs from a lovely bit of counter-attacking football. It started from Louis Norton, he passed it to McBride who on the edge of the area squared it across goal to Griggs to tap home.

Whilst there were not many chances in the first half, Leighton took the gilt edged chance they had and then turned the screw in the second.

James Hatch made a great pass to Smith, he slide it to Griggs it was played back to McBride whose effort was blocked. Iain Davies in the Edgware goal was also having a cracking game for the visitors as McBride again hit a venomous strike from the edge of the box and Davies did ever so well to tip it over the bar.

The woodwork then came to the rescue of Edgware; Hatch had a header glance off the post before McBride flashed the rebound over the bar. Edgware hadn’t really created many chances as of yet and put on Adem Ali for striker Femi Ogunsola in an effort to have more attacking firepower.

Ali tried to break for Edgware but Brad Kirkwood who hadn’t had much to do was more than equal to the danger.

Leighton needed a second goal to well and truly kill the game off but couldn’t get it. This time Griggs found himself one on one with the keeper but Davies again made a good save.

Whilst Edgware hadn’t created many chances they were defending well as Dom Marsala hit a sweet shot from the edge of the area but yet again Davies saved well.

With the scoreline only at 1-0 Edgware were always likely to cause a danger on the break as Town pressed for a second. However, when Edgware next broke Towell made a superb challenge to stop the visitors in their tracks.

Towell then had a chance at the other end of the pitch after being played in by Griggs but his shot was blocked.

Edgware’s best chance of the game came from Dennis Mattartan who hit a half volley, Ali flicked it to try and deceive Kirkwood but he saved easily enough. Substitute Fabio Valenti then hit a neat free kick but again Kirkwood was equal to it.

Leighton defended well enough to see the game out and all in all, this was one of the most comprehensive Leighton Town’s performances you’ll see all season. Whilst Edgware defended well and Davies made some great saves, The Reds were relentless at times and unlucky not to add to the scoreline on another day it could’ve easily been 3 or 4 nil.

This win takes Leighton up to 15th in the table who have another two important fixtures this week. On Tuesday the boys return to Bell Close for the visit of Crawley Green before travelling to Colney Heath next Saturday.

Report by

James D'Arcy

TEAM: Kirkwood, Towell, Norton, McKee, Condon, Hatch, Griggs ©, Marsh, Smith, Marsala, McBride SUBS: Griggs for Leslie UNUSED: Sheriden, Oya, Shoyoye, Peacock.


Own the grind together in adidas Teamwear

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors